Who needs a visa to enter Nigeria?
If you are a citizen from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea- Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone and Togo), you do not need a visa to enter Nigeria. Visa on Arrival is available to citizens of all countries except ECOWAS Nationals who do not require visa to visit Nigeria. You can visit (Nigeria Immigration) http://www.immigration.gov.ng/index.php?id=91 for more information on how to obtain visa on arrival.
What type of Visa do I need as a tourist?
Tourist visiting Nigeria for a short stay can apply for a tourist visa. The tourist visa may be for 90 days, 6 months, 12 months or even 24 months with single or multiple entries depending on what you applied for and in some instance the visa reciprocity policy of the Nigerian Government. Each entry is valid for a maximum stay of 90 days
What documents do I need to apply for a visa?
Tourist planning to obtain a Nigeria visa requires the documents below:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months with at least 2 blank visa pages for endorsement.
- Valid return ticket.
- Evidence of sufficient funds.
- Evidence of hotel Reservation or address of host in Nigeria.
- Invitation letter from host in Nigeria. (if visiting friend or family)
What other document do I need to bring along?
Travellers are advised to bring along evidence of yellow fever vaccination, the yellow card, the vaccination should have been taken at least 10 days before the visit. Port Health Officials may demand to sight your yellow card before you proceed to immigrations.
How much can I bring into Nigeria?
The amount of money you can bring into Nigeria has no limit, however, Nigerian laws stipulates that currency in cash or jewellery equivalent to $10,000 or more should be declared by completing the relevant form.
Immigration and Customs
Travellers are screened by both immigration, customs and other agencies present at the port. Immigration Officers may demand for the address you will be staying in Nigeria hence it is important you have the information handy.
Flights to Nigeria
Nigeria is a popular destination for major airlines, some of which have daily and weekly schedules to Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Enugu. The following airlines have scheduled service in Nigeria: British Airways, KLM, Airfrance, Virgin Atlantic, Emirates, Qatar Airways, South African Airlines, Asky, Ethiopian Airlines, Air Cote d’Ivoire, Arik, AirMaroc, Rwanda Air
VISA ON ARRIVAL
Step 1: Get Visa on Arrival Approval Letter
There are two methods to obtaining VoA approval letter: applying through email or in person or application by a representative in Nigeria.
Applying through Email
Applicant/Representative shall write an Application Letter to The Comptroller General of Immigration, NIS HQ, Abuja stating the following via this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Name of Applicant indicating Nationality
- Passport number of Applicant
- Purpose of visit
- Proposed date of visit
- Proposed port of entry
- Flight itinerary
- Address in Nigeria or Hotel Reservation
Attach the following documents:
- Copy of Passport Data Page
- Copy of Airline Return ticket reservation
Note: After Approval, a letter will be forwarded to your email with a copy sent to the Airline stated in your application and Immigration port of entry.
Applying through your representative in Nigeria
- Contact your Representative (Business partners, Company Representative, Protocol/Liaison Officer, etc) in Nigeria.
- The Representative files a formal request for Visa on Arrival Approval on your behalf by writing an application letter to The Comptroller General of Immigration, NIS HQ, Abuja stating the following: Name of Applicant indicating Nationality, Passport number of visitor, Purpose of visit, Proposed date of visit, Proposed port of entry, Proposed airline, Flight itinerary, Address in Nigeria, The email address of the visitor, Acceptance of Immigration Responsibility
- The representative shall attach the following documents in support of the application: Copy of visitor’s passport data page and a Copy of Airline Return ticket Reservation
Note: After Approval Letter is obtained,(Hard Copy) by your representative, copies of the same document will be forwarded to the Airline stated in the application and Immigration port of entry.
Step 2: Pay for Visa on Arrival
Fill in the application form with your correct details and make payment online here.
Online Payment may also be made at the point of arrival subject to presentation of Visa on Arrival Approval Letter. Master Card, Visa and American Express card are acceptable.
Step 3: Arrive at the Port of Entry and proceed for Immigration Clearance
Upon arrival at the Port of Entry, proceed to the desk marked ‘Visa on Arrival’ for issuance of entry Visa. Present the following documents in hard copy at the Port of Entry:
- Visa Approval Letter (Pre-approved visa letter), valid for 14 days from the date of issuance
- Evidence of online payment
- Valid Passport with a minimum of six months validity
- Valid return ticket
- Two recent passports sized photographs
The request shall be processed and approval letter issued within 48hrs (2 working days).
All Information listed Above (updated as at 2/1/2019)